As 2022 draws to a close, I would like to say a sincere thank you to everyone that has engaged with our organisation over the last twelve months.
We are honoured to be in the unique position where we can care for Stockport’s carers, regardless of the age or condition of the carer or the person (or people) that they are caring for. Every call, visit, recommendation, donation or passing conversation is hugely appreciated.
This year, we have had some great developments to our service, including –
- Becoming part of the Stockport Support Hub, working with Stockport & District Mind to deliver carer support. This 5 year contract gives us security that we have not had as a service for some time and is an opportunity to build and develop on our work including a great number of Carers Assessments
- Our Young Carers team grew with the addition of our school development worker, supported by The Triangle Trust, enabling more schools to support more young carers.
- Jennie’s secondment to the Memory Assessment Team meant that more carers of those with dementia were able to access more support (and she even got a spot on TV!)
- Lucy A joined us as volunteer development manager, thanks to a Henry Smith grant, meaning that we can add real value to what we do
- Annie’s café came into being – led by former and current carers and bringing joy (and cake!) into our basement on a monthly basis
- Our Moneywise team brought millions of pounds into the borough through supporting carers to maximise their income
- Adding two new fabulous students to our counselling team
- We won a Stockport Business Award, and a Weston Award, in recognition of our work and our ambitions.
- We were delighted to have 2 new carer champions in November, when Natalie had her twins. We’re planning on getting them to work soon!
We know that caring is hard, and is increasingly difficult for many. Costs are going up, support and care is harder to access. Signpost will absolutely continue to do what we can to support and inform as these challenges arise.
As the director, I am blessed with an amazing team of staff and trustees, without whom none of the services and support would be possible. Many have lived experience of being a carer and they work with compassion and resilience, striving to achieve the best outcomes for our carers. They are creative and resourceful, and just a great bunch to be around. I’m sure you will join me in thanking them for everything that they have done for Signpost this year!
Finally, if you are able to, please do consider supporting Signpost financially. As a registered charity, we rely on donations to continue our work. A number of our key services (including dementia support, benefit support and our first conversation team) are funded through our reserves and unrestricted donations. We welcome regular and one-off donations, and always appreciate being remembered in someone’s Will. If you would like to support in this way please contact Andrew@signpostforcarers.org.uk or donate directly to Signpost Stockport for Carers, 16-21-13, 10035344.
With very best wishes, and many thanks again for all your support. We look forward to welcoming you to one of our groups or activities in 2023 and below you can find out what is going on in January.